Saturday, May 13, 2017

Six Years Later


Email from Elaine:  You should come to Alaska with us.
My Reply:  Ah, if only I could.  
Elaine:   You're a teacher.  You. Have. Summers. Off.

Good Grief! I have summers off?  Are you kidding me?  I run a program all summer, I plan my lessons for next year, and I take classes.  I work in my garden.  I take care of my cat. 
Summers off!  Seriously.  
  
Besides.  I am not sure Dad even wants to go to Alaska.  I am not sure he’s ready to get in that motor home and travel without mom.  
Alaska.  Indeed. 
Seriously.  
And yet . . . Imagine driving to Alaska.  Imagine NOT working for once.  I mean . . . I am a teacher. . .    

But still, I don’t think Dad wants to go.  

Email from Dad:  Elaine and Tom are really encouraging me to go to Alaska.  Would you girls come with me?
My Reply:  Yes.


And, so, six years later, another tour begins.  Finals are next week.  My students graduate on May 20 (Congratulations Damian, Jesus, Harley, and Adam!).  Grades are due May 22 at 8:00 am.  My flight leaves O’Hare at 9:15 am.  

Ready, set, GO!

1 comment: